I have so many gooseberries at home, both red and green and they are really sweet as they are huge and juicy, but I don't mind picking the smaller ones for a kick! They are really easy to grow and need little attention between pruning. Here is a delicious recipe for you to make and is very tasty!
1 lb (500g) Green gooseberries
3 oz (75g) Sugar
3-4 sponge trifle cakes
3 tablespoons ginger wine
1/2 a pint (300ml) Custard sauce
5fl.oz (150ml) Whipping cream
Garnish: Gooseberry jelly or crystallized ginger
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Chilling time: 1 hour
- First don't top and tail the goosberries, instead rinse them and put them in a pan and bring the water to the boil over a gentle heat. Combine the sugar in the mix and simmer until they're soft and puply. This should take about 12-15 minutes.
- Get a sieve and rub the gooseberries through and set the puree to one side to cool.
- Whilst the puree is cooling cut the sponge trifle cakes in half lengthways and place themover the base of a serving bowl/dish. Then sprinkle the ginger wine over and leave it until the sponge has soaked it all up.
- Make a thick custard sauce make sure you keep it warm, place the gooseberry puree over the sponge and pour the custard on top and leave to chill in a refrigetator.
- Just before serving spread the whipped cream over the trifle and decorate with the gooseberry jelly or crystallized ginger.
So I hoped you enjoyed this recipe and please do me a favour and share this and also follow my blog so you know when more tasty recipes will be up. Comment below on what you think and you can visit my facebook page for a whole week of cooking videos: http://www.facebook.com/events/170231226497161/
Thanks and happy cooking!